Seeking your advice on our pilot boat

Ugghh. First off, my utmost apologies for such a long time between posts. Life happened, and I have been absolutely swamped since coming back from Denver and Seattle. I just shifted into survival mode for a while. Neal seemed to suffer the same fate at the same time. Alas, it seems to be all better.

WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK!!

If you’ve completed the swim…
1. Were you on a spring tide or neap tide?
How did it affect you? Did it matter?
2. Which pilot did you use? Tell us what you thought?
3. How many days were you in England waiting for the go-ahead from your pilot? (tell us your story)

If you’re currently training for the swim…
1. What have you heard?
2. Do you have a pilot reserved? Who are you using?

If you have no interest in ever swimming the English Channel…
1. Post your comments anyway. We’d love to hear from you. It makes us feel better.
2. Check out www.channelswimming.net. You will find a new respect for those who have done it. Next time you meet someone who’s accomplished it, pat them on the back.

2 thoughts on “Seeking your advice on our pilot boat

  1. Awesome. I’m excited for you guys. I think this is a crazy-fun expedition. Just logistically, it seems huge. Looking at your backgrounds though, I’m sure you can pull it off. I look forward to following you guys as it gets closer to the event.

    As for pilot/weather feedback. I can’t be much help. I’m a cyclist more than a swimmer. I only swim when I absolutely have to (friggin’ USAT and their rules about skipping the swim!) Just out of curiosity, I started doing some web research on the subject. WOW! One site said that the tides can move you up to 13 miles laterally during the swim. respect. Now I’m curious. I’ll keep watching this post to see what others have to say.

  2. 11 Sept 2005 12 hours and 47 minutes

    So where to start?

    The good news is that you connected to the web group….the bad news is that you don’t have a swimming slot between 10 Aug and 20 Sept…when the water is warmest.
    1. Were you on a spring tide or neap tide?
    How did it affect you? Did it matter?

    Neap…and you better believe it make a BIG difference. One of my buddies went last year on a 6 metre spring….he land 18 miles from where I landed…he nearly made Belgium.

    Go Neap unless you think you are the fastest strongest – most cold resistant swimmer around.

    2. Which pilot did you use? Tell us what you thought?

    My pilot, Dave Whyte retires this year…so last chance to get him!
    Great guy….he has done 4 now from Cork and all made it..

    3. How many days were you in England waiting for the go-ahead from your pilot? (tell us your story)

    http://www.santabarbarachannelswim.org/news.html

    I have 3 stories there….1 EC didn’t make…went back and a Santa Barbara crossing.

    ****My biggest suggestion is to do 3 long swims…BEFORE you come over: 10 miles or so each in 63 F water. This will at least teach you a bit about feeding.

    Ned Denison

    Cork Ireland – Open Water Swimmer (Phone: +353 87 987 1573)
    Committee Member: Swims (Lee, Sandycove and Inisbofin), ILDSA and Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association
    Swims: English Channel, Santa Barbara Channel, Manhattan Island, Cobh Island, Lake Champlain and Inisbofin